Thursday, January 08, 2009

Protean

I haven't gotten the "WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR PROTEEEEEIIIIINNNNNNNN" question for a long time, but am anticipating all the ignorant (well-intentioned and not-so) questions on this subject I'll get should I become pregnant in the near future. "I get my protein from the same place animals do -- Plants!! And not the rendering kind, source of much "protein concentrate" in livestock feed. Click on the link, gentle reader! Plants, people. Like, what elephants eat. The same elephants that go around killing people as revenge for culling, bad-ass strong elephants that will beat the shit out of you!"

Per most dietary guidelines, a pregnant woman needs 71 grams of protein a day. It's 1:30 pm and by my calculations, I'm up to 56 grams. Big bowl of Cheerios (2 cups, 6g total) with 2 cups soy milk (14g) and a massive bowl of lentil soup (2 cups of lentils have 36 grams of protein). A 4 oz serving of tempeh has 18-20 grams. Throw in some peanut butter and I'm way over the daily requirements. This doesn't even count the amount of protein that is in vegetables: Broccoli rabe has 17 grams of protein per bunch. This is both validating and reassuring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home