Monday, November 07, 2005

Neighborhood #16 (South Side)

I lived on the Lower East Side in the 80's and in San Francisco's Mission District in the 90's, but never have I seen a neighborhood so quickly and ruthlessly gentrified as the South Side of Williamsburg. Bodegas turn into boutiques overnight and "luxury" condominiums resembling minimum-security prisons spring up seemingly out of nowhere.

Last week Lillet and I wandered this neighborhood, noting changes and just generally being awed by the manly power of the Free Market. One block seemed to be lagging behind in the inevitable rush towards homogeneity, and this is where we happened upon this sign.


What I wonder is, what the hell is a 7A building? And by so wondering am I engaging in the very kind of speculation I am being warned against?

4 Comments:

Blogger Ashbloem said...

Undoubtably, this sign has caused you to speculate.

However, I found this:

"Article 7A of the New York State Real Property Actions and Proceedings law provides for the
appointment by housing court judges of private administrators to manage residential buildings
that have been “effectively abandoned” by their owners, and in which conditions are “dangerous
to life, health, or safety” of tenants. "

So there you go.

And congratulations, Trey, on recent happy events!

2:42 PM  
Blogger Trey Desolay said...

Omigod ... this is awesome. With Ashbloem to do my research for me I'm free to blaze new trails of laziness!

And thank you for your kind wishes, A.

- Trey Paresseux

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aha... you were speculating about it!

I'm telling! ;-)

5:31 PM  
Blogger kender said...

So a 7A building one that has an administrator appointed by a judge to manage the building.

Why does the word "squatters" spring suddenly to mind?

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home