Sunday, October 23, 2005

Just Married!

Last night was Trey's and my official wedding.

It was perfect.

Even though or perhaps because our photographer was in the emergency room and we had to find someone else.

Even though or because I got my period the minute before I stepped into my dress.

Even though or because it rained and the car with me and half my family in it was 30 minutes late because the driver was fumbling around residential areas of Brooklyn.

It was perfect.

My sister declared it " the salve for our family's wounds."

My mother and her sister, who works as a butcher and came from Northern California despite her fear of flying, were there.

People who were strangers prior made friends and went out to dinner!

Two of my friends hooked up and went home together!

Everyone danced!

A couple had sex in the bathroom!

My friend Walter shared his Kitty Carlisle obsession with Trey's ex-showgirl grandmother, and now he and his boyfriend have a double date with Trey and I to take her out for serious Chinese food in Flushing!

Long-simmering crushes were confessed!

Long-suppurating tensions were released!

And even the bartender told us he loved the ceremony. The CEREMONY! No one EVER talks about the ceremony. But everyone really sincerely seemed happy and moved by it.

And I danced with and without shoes.

And Trey and I waltzed and didn't fuck up.

And I realized I could think of nothing more valuable, as I spoke with every person there, of just making time to spend time with these people for the rest of my life, and that would be an honorable and beautiful life.

And do you know what was so magical?

Most of our wedding was paid for with cash we put into a coffee can in our kitchen.

Thousands of dollars grew from ten here, a hundred there. And in our crooked little kitchen we put money in a Bustelo can and it turned into the most elegant shimmering party ever, with views of the Manhattan Bridge and dancing and happiness. I kept telling Trey I felt like Cinderella, but when Cinderella is so sad and can't go to the ball and all the forest animals make her a dress. And all our friends helped us out so much. Because they are just genuinely generous and nice!

But the best thing was realizing, as I got made-up and coiffed and fussed over and photographed by my family pre-wedding, that there was one thing I thought the most:

I missed Trey so much and just couldn't wait to see him and talk with him again.

And that makes me feel like the luckiest woman in the world.

Love,

Lillet

5 Comments:

Blogger Autumn Briars said...

Oh! Congrats!

4:13 PM  
Blogger Ashbloem said...

I'm so sorry I couldn't make it. It sounds wonderful; I am so happy you both were blessed with each other and a happy day to celebrate it.

xoxoxoxo

8:59 AM  
Blogger Angela's Designs said...

Congrats. :) Sounds wonderful.

8:26 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

What a beautiful and unique description of your day and your thoughts about it. You should print those out and put it in a photo frame alongside a picture of you or something.

Congratulations on your marriage. May it be full of blessings for you both and may every day be a new and wonderful adventure.

2:45 AM  
Blogger Joel said...

Meilleurs voeux de Bonheur !!!

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home