Thursday, September 20, 2007

Déja-Vu

I wrote this sonnet ten years ago. It seems a good season to bust it out.

Fall '97

Repeat the mantra: Grey Is The New Black!
Forget past flings with crimson, white, and brown
(The last, when twinned with blue, was très downtown
-- in '95! What sluts! We were on crack!)
But this time's it. This one we won't retract
(On FOX tonight: When Prada Mules Attack!)

What is there more haute and more high fashional
Than pearly leather boots from Costume National?
Perhaps it has come time to pawn the telly
To score that graphite Kateyone Adelyi?
Admit it, babe, you'd beg until you bleed
For Miu Miu mary janes in charcoal tweed --
And tread upon thy fellow fashionistas
in those knee high Ann Demeulemeesters!

[And do refrain from phoning us to whine
When fuschia's crowned as black for '99.]

2 Comments:

Blogger Ashbloem said...

HEY! I remember this! I think you read it to me or showed it to me at a party you had. In Cambridge. Or something. I've definitely read it before.

You are so clever.

9:27 AM  
Blogger LP said...

You ARE so clever. Brilliant. As usual.

5:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home