Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Vegan MoFo: Collards and Quinoa -- The Starsky And Hutch of Good-For-You Goodness

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm! I like cutting the collards into 1/2" ribbons, sort of like a fat chiffonade, and then cutting the ribbons in half again before sautee-ing them. I think that works well with the stiffer and thicker texture of the leaves. Also the very edges of the pieces get ever-so-slightly caramelized.
I think "quinoa" is Inca for "Rice of The Lazy." I love it because you can buy it in bulk, it's a complete protein, it takes 18 minutes to prepare. Blam!! And it really soaks up flavor so nicely. The only thing lazier is couscous. This is a picture of our lunch from Sunday: the stew from the night before ladled over quinoa and with the collards on the side. My only regret is that I didn't grab two bunches of collards as the bunches availaible were on the small side.




3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm totally going to copy your meal tonight (sorta)! We have leftover yellow split peas that I'm going to put over the quinoa & chard we bought this weekend!!

11:47 AM  
Blogger Bethany said...

I think of quinoa the same way. super fast. plus it's way healthier than rice. your dinner looks yummy!

12:19 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I love greens and Quinoa. Looks great!

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home