Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Vegan MoFo: Collards and Quinoa -- The Starsky And Hutch of Good-For-You Goodness

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm! I like cutting the collards into 1/2" ribbons, sort of like a fat chiffonade, and then cutting the ribbons in half again before sautee-ing them. I think that works well with the stiffer and thicker texture of the leaves. Also the very edges of the pieces get ever-so-slightly caramelized.
I think "quinoa" is Inca for "Rice of The Lazy." I love it because you can buy it in bulk, it's a complete protein, it takes 18 minutes to prepare. Blam!! And it really soaks up flavor so nicely. The only thing lazier is couscous. This is a picture of our lunch from Sunday: the stew from the night before ladled over quinoa and with the collards on the side. My only regret is that I didn't grab two bunches of collards as the bunches availaible were on the small side.


Anonymous z. said...

I'm totally going to copy your meal tonight (sorta)! We have leftover yellow split peas that I'm going to put over the quinoa & chard we bought this weekend!!

11:47 AM  
Blogger Bethany said...

I think of quinoa the same way. super fast. plus it's way healthier than rice. your dinner looks yummy!

12:19 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I love greens and Quinoa. Looks great!

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home