Saturday, April 15, 2006

Good Friday

I had the day off yesterday -- "Good Friday" indeed! -- and so Trey and I decided to go to church.


Our church -- The American Museum Of Natural History!

First we visited the whale in the Hall of Marine Life. [Did I tell you all that we originally dreamed of getting married under that whale? In our most revered cathedral? Until we found out to rent the room alone is, for members, more than I make in a year?] Then we visited the birds, and then saw the IMAX Galapagos movie, which was heartwrenchingly beautiful.

Then we moved on to the Darwin exhibit, which is fantastic and about which I will write more later, but I wholehertedly recommend it. I will say though, that it rankles me more and more how the name of such an empathetic, intelligent, deeply feeling man is misappropriated to mean "nihlistic." For what demonstrates a more genuine reverence for life than the following:
There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
Oh hey! If you want to get a "T is for Tapir" shirt of your very own, you can order one through www.tapirback.com. All proceeds go to the Tapir Preservation Fund!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home