Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Vegan MoFo: Trip to Penzey's Spices/ Mmmm, Zatar

on my way home from work Friday I stopped by the Penzey's Spice stall at the Grand Central Market. I bought chipotle chili powder, a big bag of tarragon, cumin and coriander seeds, sumac, savory, and zatar. Also a "French" spice mix with culinary lavender whose exact name I cannot recall. I was very tempted by the Indian spice mixes but I could probably do better on Atlantic Avenue and should take advantage of that while we are still living here.

I first tasted zatar pie at Najeeb's, which is now Odara, and is still probably very good. The Penzey's version incorporates sumac which is not the norm, per the Wikipedia on Za'atar (which would make kind of a great boy's name, although it'd like naming your girl "Mrs. Dash") At any rate, I like the citrusy bite of the sumac added in.

I made Trey a little snack of roasted garlic and oil smeared on a halved baguette and then paved with zatar. Really, really delicious.

Also: Can I say, Harissa is addictive? It is the chili garlic paste in the picture next to the Zatar container. It's got such a different smoky depth in comparison to the lighter, zingier sriracha. So so yummy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

I too am a fan of the Grand Central Penzeys! I thought I'd tried it all, but I'll definitely pick up some Zatar. Thanks for the review! For the Indian spices, I can attest that the hot curry seasoning is pretty darn good.

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home