Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Well, Well, Well



Go, Transit Workers Union!

Did I want to wake up extra early today? No.

But I say fuck Bloomberg and fuck the MTA. You don't go crowing about your billion dollar MYSTERY surplus and then deny people's pensions to shave a dollar from the fare for ten days, saving tourists a buck when travelling between The Olive Garden and Jekyll and Hyde.

Yes, the strike is a total pain in the ass at the worst time of the year. But it's a vaulable reminder in these times of percieved helplessness and outrage fatigue that solidarity can make a difference (as evidenced by the ridiculous line I saw to get onto the Williamsburg Bridge this morning.)

Bloomberg bitched all over TV yesterday how a strike would cost the city $300 million a day. Here's a thought douchebag -- maybe that means THE TRANSIT WORKERS PROVIDE A VALUABLE SERVICE AND SHOULD BE RESPECTED? As someone who takes the subway nearly every day, I don't want my life and my fellow citizens' lives in the hands of a disgruntled, poorly trained person.

It's a good thing for us all to be reminded that the right thing is often "inconvenient." GO TWU!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're damn right. Go MTA!

How did you get to work today?

11:02 AM  
Blogger Lillet Langtry said...

I shared a car with a co-worker and my neighbor. What about you?

Happy Holidays, Z!!

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wait. I didn't mean go MTA. I meant go TWU! (duh) And BOO, MTA.

I took my bike. It was very cold.

Happy holidays to you too, as well!

1:43 PM  
Blogger Trey Desolay said...

It was a mutual friend who first introduced me to Lillet (though I had once before seen her in a bar and was immediately smitten). This friend's father has for years been the director of one of the world's largest and most highly regarded urban rail systems. A couple of years ago he was flown around the world to New York and presented with mountains of money to take over the MTA. He spent a week riding the system and meeting with management. He turned them down saying, "It's unfixable."

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home