Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Fun With The American Family Association


In my hungover back-at-work web surfing, I came across this American Family Association petition against a new NBC show that "mocks Christianity", called The Book Of Daniel. Here is part the synopsis provided by the AFA:

NBC is touting the network's mid-season replacement series "The Book of Daniel" with language that implies it is a serious drama about Christian people and Christian faith. The main character is Daniel Webster, a drug-addicted Episcopal priest whose wife depends heavily on her mid-day martinis.

Webster regularly sees and talks with a very unconventional white-robed, bearded Jesus. The Webster family is rounded out by a 23-year-old homosexual Republican son, a 16-year-old daughter who is a drug dealer, and a 16-year-old adopted son who is having sex with the bishop's daughter.

At the office, his lesbian secretary is sleeping with his sister-in-law.

Network hype – and the mainstream media – call it "edgy," "challenging" and "courageous." The hour-long limited drama series will debut January 6 with back-to-back episodes and will air on Friday nights. The writer for the series is a practicing homosexual. [...]


Then there is a link to send a letter to Mr. Wright, Chairman of NBC. The sample letter starts:

Dear Chairman Wright:

I am disappointed that NBC has decided to air "The Book of Daniel." I know that AFA will keep us posted on which companies desire to underwrite this program.[...]


The AFA said that they encouraged me to modify the text of the sample letter if I chose. So I complied.


Dear Chairman Wright:

Although the AFA is all upset about this "Book of Daniel" show, their description made me eager to see it! Broadcast television needs more programming that explores the complicated nuances of human beings and their lives. I do not watch much television, but I will definitely tune in to "Book of Daniel". Kudos to you for your innovative programming decisions!

Don't listen to the AFA. They are a minority of close-minded, paranoid hateful people.

Best regards,

Lillet Langtry
Brooklyn, NY



In the words of the AFA, "Send Your Letter Now!" And be creative. Be creative for JESUS.

5 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

Sounds like it hit a little close to home for the xians. If they spent as much time cleaning out the child molesters from the priesthood as they wasted sending threatening letters to artists and networks, people might have a little faith in Jesus Corp.

2:36 PM  
Blogger GrrlScientist said...

your letter was truly wonderful. funny. no, ironic -- yeah, that's the word i wanted to use! ironic, considering how it was emailed.

GrrlScientist

9:22 PM  
Blogger emi guner said...

I saw "The thin man" yesterday. Are you and Trey Nick and Nora for the 21st century?. I think so. And I am so jealous!

My Thin man was part of a box set so I followed up the movie with a little Hollywood salute to Myrna Loy. I think this is exactly the kind of cause she would have liked. Only to prove, once again, that you are Nora, you lucky bastard.

I'll mail whoever you told us to mail.

love

3:36 AM  
Blogger Lillet Langtry said...

Oh my gosh, e! that's the sweetest comment ever! We, however, are jealous of YOU! you have sweet beautiful baby minous and live in SWEDEN, whereas we live next to an off-ramp where cars like to explode. But thank you so much!

And dear Hedwig, guess what! We are going to Costa Rica next week to see BIRDS!!! We will say hi to all the toucans and quetzals and macaws for you (as well as all the other birds we can greet but not identify!)

xox L

9:42 AM  
Blogger Wontar said...

Brilliant! My letter was sent, and I bow to your sense of irony.

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home