Thursday, October 16, 2008

Vegan Mofo: Quick Debate-Watching Comfort Food


Yesterday was a pretty stressful day for me, 10 hours at the office amid some intense speculation regarding the future of the company I work for, followed by a decent time at the dog run until I had to immediately remove Sir Specialness because some imbecile too lazy to throw a ball with their actual hands brought a laser pointer to the run. Laser pointers can trigger really bad, medication-requiring OCD in dogs, and furthermore, you aren't just putting your dog at risk in the run, because every dog sees it and reacts. Sir S. is already really shadow and light sensitive and I am going to have to figure out how to confront this situation in a graceful yet uncompromising way.

So when I got home at 8 I was tense and spent and wanted fast comfort food, so I came up with this fast pasta. While the spaghetti boiled, I sauteed 5 diced cloves of garlic in a generous amount of olive oil in my big skillet, and then added 2 Tofurky beer brats that I sliced into tiny half-moons and stirred them until they browned. Then I added one bunch of shredded collards and a tablespoon of red pepper flakes and a splash of red wine vinegar. It was comforting and yet had garlic and greens and even Joe Fucking Plumber would have asked for seconds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home