Monday, March 13, 2006

Enantiodromia


Is a favorite word. And a concept with which I am intimately familiar.
Enantiodromia
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Enantiodromia is a concept introduced by psychiatrist Carl Jung where the superabundance of any force inevitably produces its opposite. It is equivalent to the principle of equilibrium in the natural world, in that any extreme is opposed by the system to restore balance.

Jung used it particularly to refer to the unconscious acting against the wishes of the conscious mind.
I think Jung would appreciate that on the day I am reading of enantiodromia, I stumble upon this article, "The Only Moral Abortion Is My Abortion." Here's a choice passage:
"The sister of a Dutch bishop in Limburg once visited the abortion clinic in Beek where I used to work in the seventies. After entering the full waiting room she said to me, 'My dear Lord, what are all those young girls doing here?' 'Same as you', I replied. 'Dirty little dames,' she said." (Physician, The Netherlands)
And so is this:
"We have anti-choice women in for abortions all the time. Many of them are just naive and ignorant until they find themselves with an unwanted pregnancy. Many of them are not malicious. They just haven't given it the proper amount of thought until it completely affects them. They can be judgmental about their friends, family, and other women. Then suddenly they become pregnant. Suddenly they see the truth. That it should only be their own choice. Unfortunately, many also think that somehow they are different than everyone else and they deserve to have an abortion, while no one else does." (Physician, Washington State)

1 Comments:

Blogger Kate Harding said...

As far as that article goes... Wow. I have no words.

Enantiodromia's a really good one, though.

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home