Friday, February 23, 2007

Auntie Meme

Okay, it is Friday night, and before I finish baby sweater #2, I will post my contribution to the "first line meme" that I cribbed from Kate's blog, the rules of which are:

1) Select 5-10 (or so) books you love.
2) Post the first line from each of them.
3) Don't mention the title or author. That's for everyone else to figure out.
4) After someone correctly identifies the book, update the original entry to reflect that fact.

Bring it!

1) It was a dark and stormy night. [Yay Kate! A Wrinkle In Time, Madeleine L'Engle.]

2) I'm about as far removed from being a "punk" as one can be.

3) Lisa and I were pen pals all through vacation. She wrote to me twice. I wrote to her zero times.

4) I am seated in an office, surrounded by heads and bodies.

5) The longing for redemption is an ancient, strange and many-headed daimon, which dwells within even the most earthbound and prosaic of souls.

6) Many works have been written on Expression, but a greater number on Physiognomy, -- that is, on the recognition of character through the study of the permanent form of the features.

8) They say when trouble comes close ranks, and so the white people did.

9) In a valley shaded with rhododendrons, close to the snow line, where a stream milky with meltwater splashed and where doves and linnets flew among the immense pines, lay a cave, half-hidden by the crag above and the stiff heavy leaves that clustered below.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kate Harding said...

Damn, you have stumped me at least 8 times over (though I will probably have a palmface moment when I find out what 2 is).

But assuming 1 isn't Bulwer-Lytton... A Wrinkle in Time, Madeleine L'Engle?

9:23 AM  
Blogger Lillet Langtry said...

Hi Kate! Yes indeed!!!

Actually #2 is pretty hard to guess. But I can say that I think every book on the list is a book that has been mentioned on this blog....

xo L

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home