Thursday, September 14, 2006

Re-entry


Trey and I went on vacation for a week to my father's house in super rural Virginia.

It was wonderful. The power was out for the first three days due to Ernesto, but it didn't matter: we read and knitted and drank wine and visited with my family. We took lazy walks up the road to feed the horses and we saw bunnies and terns and the territorial heron. We slept in my sister's beautifully appointed guestroom on a five star mattress. We played with the dogs. We spooned on the solarium chaise lounge and looked at books about dogs and agreed to eventually have five. I knitted and listened to one of my sisters and her fiance read Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince aloud to each other and I cried several times even though I knew everything that was going to happen.

By the end of our time away I was so relaxed I was a different person. And I realized one thing that was probably the biggest contributing factor to this state.

No Internet Connection For A Week. Total news fast. I really need to do that more often.

My sister "La" is, hands down, the greatest hostess in the universe. She is not only the most practical woman to ever walk the earth [Were I ever President, she would be appointed head of FEMA yesterday] but so beautifully gracious in her practicality. She is the kind of person who always has extra toothbrushes for your and puts out Toblerone and fluffy bathrobes in your room but never even mentions it and does these things not from some sense of ego but because THAT IS JUST HOW THINGS SHOULD BE DONE. Although I know in her personal universe she finds dietary restrictions irrational, she went out of her way to accomodate Trey's and my veganism without saying one thing, without rolling an eye. She drinks Coke with breakfast because she likes it, and knows that if you have your vegan sister coming you just pick up some soymilk and portobellos from the Whole Foods and there you go. She is pure class and all heart and I love her.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ashbloem said...

That sounds heavenly - the vacation and the hostess.

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home